Evaluating Advertising Opportunities
Many of my clients ask if they should advertise in the Yellow Pages or other phone directories. Typically, the cost to participate is quite high compared to other publications so many business owners look for guidance to make this decision. They feel obligated to advertise, but don’t really want to.
Here are a few things to consider when evaluating any advertising opportunity:
- Your target market – Who are they, how do they find out about you, what are their habits when it comes to media?
- Your sales strategy – How are you attracting new customers / clients? What tactics are already in place?
- Past advertising results – Have you advertised in phone directories in the past? Did it generate new business?
- Your online strategy – Do you have a website? Is your website optimized so that search engines can find you?
- Your marketing budget – Have you planned to advertise in phone directories? Do you have the budget to participate?
As a business owner, you are continually bombarded with advertising and promotional opportunities. Without a plan, these decisions can be pretty tough, especially when you are already busy running your business!
Here are a few red flags to watch out for:
- Feeling that you don’t want to miss out.
- Choosing to participate because your competition is participating.
Keep in mind that just because other businesses are there, doesn’t mean it works! If you need assistance with your marketing strategy, please give me a call.